Herbed And Cheesy Stuffed PeppersBy
Here In The Devil’s Kitchen, our favourite part of the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey has always been the stuffing. Maybe that’s why we love stuffed peppers. And these have lots of herbs, ground meat, and rice, plus a thick cheese topping. Devilish!
Note: This makes four large stuffed peppers. If you have smaller peppers, you may need 5-6 peppers – or eat the excess stuffing by itself.
When selecting peppers, look for squat peppers with an even bottom. These will hold more filling and sit straight in your baking dish.
Ingredients (4 peppers)
4 bell peppers
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
¾ lb (350g) ground meat (preferably pork/beef mix)
½ cup beef stock (or bouillon cube & hot water)
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 ½ cups cooked rice
3 oz (85g) Parmesan cheese, grated
6 oz (170g) mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Prepare your peppers by cutting a wide mouth in the top and removing seeds.
2. Heat oil in frying pan over medium-low. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add ground meat and cook 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked meat, beef stock or bouillon, garlic, pepper, salt, oregano, basil, and rice.
5. Divide the mixture amongst the peppers. Tamp it in until a ½” (12mm) space remains at the top.
6. Combine the grated Parmesan and mozzarella.
7. Fill the tops of the peppers with the cheese mixture. Tamp it down to get as much cheese as possible in each pepper.
8. Pre-heat oven to 350F (180c).
9. Stand the peppers on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish. Bake for 1 hour.