Grilled Chicken Nicoise SaladBy
This is one of those salads that is actually a main dish. After all, you’ve got all the major food groups – vegetables, meat, and potatoes. Makes for a devilishly fantastic lunch on a summer day or a refreshing dinner on a summer’s eve.
The original Nicoise Salad – a classic specialty of the Nice region of France – is made with tuna. But, In The Devil’s Kitchen, we never let our culinary hands be tied by tradition. After all, tuna is chicken of the sea, so let’s use some chicken of the land. And, let’s grill it for great texture and flavour.
Oh yes, the French are also quite insistent that no cooked vegetables should be used, but we think that boiled new potatoes are just too tasty to leave out. Sorry Nice.
Prep Note: Toss the chicken breast strips into a marinade the night before and have truly juicy grilled chicken the next day.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp crumbled dried rosemary
8-10 oz (220-280g) chicken breast
½ lb (220g) new potatoes, washed and scrubbed – not peeled
3-4 oz (85-100g) green beans, trimmed & cut into 1″ (2.5cm) pieces
10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup sliced black olives
2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
4 hard boiled eggs
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
Marinate Chicken (Best done day before or in morning)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and rosemary.
2. Cut the chicken breast into ½-¾” (12-19mm) strips and add to the marinade. Toss to coat well, cover, and place in refrigerator overnight or all day.
Prepare The Salad
3. Boil potatoes for 18-20 minutes (until tender to a fork) in salted water. Drain and cut into bite-sized pieces.
4. Boil the green beans for 5-6 minutes in salted water. Drain and cool under running water or in ice water.
5. On a hot grill, grill the chicken strips until done. Times will vary depending upon the grill you use and the heat, but you can check for doneness by flaking open a chicken strip. It should be white inside.
6. In a large bowl, prepare the dressing. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the potatoes, beans, chicken, tomatoes, olives, capers, and parsley. Toss well.
7. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tossed salad to plates. Cut the boiled eggs in half, arrange around the salad, and drizzle some of the excess dressing over the eggs.