Hearty Cowboy Scrambled EggsBy Kevin Riley
Cooked in a large cast iron frying pan, these delicious scrambled eggs are reminiscent of hearty chuckwagon breakfasts. But, with red bell peppers adding vibrant colour and a slight crunch, mushrooms adding their own brand of specialness, and melted cheese ramping up both flavour and stick-to-your-ribs heartiness, this is a dish Cookie would never have spoiled his cowboys with.
Ingredients (Serves 2 – or 1 hungry cowboy)
1 tbsp olive oil or butter (depends upon how devilish you feel)
6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into ½” (1cm) pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped into ½” (1cm) pieces
1 green onion, sliced into small rounds
6-8 white mushrooms (champignon), thickly sliced
3 oz (85g) cheddar cheese, cut into ½” (1cm) cubes
4 eggs, beaten
1. In a large frying pan, melt the butter. Add the bacon and stir fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned but not crispy (the bacon will cook more as other ingredients are added).
2. Add the red pepper and green onions, and stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for 2 more minutes.
4. Add the cheese and gently stir fry for ½ – 1 minute, until the cheese is softened and just starting to melt.
5. Add the eggs and mix into the other ingredients, scraping cooked cheese off the bottom of the frying pan. Cook the eggs only until softly cooked.
Serve this to your hungry cowboys or little devils right away. These scrambled eggs are great as they are, or served up on some pieces of toast.